Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando
2019 Honorable Mention – Children’s Literature
The Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando by Andrea Wang, Illustrated by Kana Urbanowicz (Little Bee Books)
Inspiration struck when Momofuku Ando spotted the long lines for a simple bowl of ramen following World War II. Magic Ramen tells the true story behind the creation of one of the world’s most popular foods.
Every day, Momofuku Ando would retire to his lab—a little shed in his backyard. For years, he’d dreamed about making a new kind of ramen noodle soup that was quick, convenient, and tasty for the hungry people he’d seen in line for a bowl on the black market following World War II. Peace follows from a full stomach, he believed.
Day after day, Ando experimented. Night after night, he failed. But Ando kept experimenting.
With persistence, creativity, and a little inspiration, Momofuku Ando succeeded. This is the true story behind one of the world’s most popular foods.
- Teacher’s Guide, created by Anna Chan Rekate, 2019
- Junior Library Guild Selection
- School Library Journal Starred Review
- Smithsonian Ten Best Children’s Books of 2019
- Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature (CSMCL) Best Books of 2019