Every Falling Star
2016 Winner – Young Adult/High School Literature
Every Falling Star: The True Story of How I Survived and Escaped North Korea by Sungju Lee and Susan Elizabeth McClelland (Amulet, an imprint of ABRAMS)
A timely and gripping autobiographical account of a teenage boy in North Korea. An authentic view of the “inside” of North Korea, and the reality of the life of ordinary citizens living under a regime of severe political constraints that has isolated itself from the world. Students will gain a better understanding both of why some North Korean people support the regime as well as why others try to escape. Excellent non-fiction read for high school students.
- Every Falling Star video with the author Sungju Lee
- North Korea in the World from East-West Center and National Committee on North Korea
- Korea Society in New York City lesson plans
- Conflict on the Korean Peninsula: North Korea and the Nuclear Threat (Choices Program, Brown University)
- Archived Book Group Every Falling Star. (Once you have created a login for yourself at asiaforeducators.org, you are able to view and access all current and archived offerings from the main page. One (free) login suffices for all).
- An Indies Introduce Selection of the American Booksellers Association
- A Junior Library Guild Selection
- 2016 Parent’s Choice Award winner
- 2016 Cyblis Award Winner
- 2017 CBC Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People
- 2017 Notable Books for a Global Society
- 2018 Sakura Medal, nominee